Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A Springtime Dessert


Here's a favorite dessert of ours that just says "springtime" to me with its pretty yellow and white layers. I think it might be nice for Easter dinner, especially if one put pastel sprinkles or Easter sprinkles on top of the last layer. Enjoy...

LEMON PUDDING DESSERT

1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups flour
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (I use the lighter Neufchatel)
1 cup confectioners sugar
8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided use (the light variety works fine)
3 cups cold milk (skim works fine)
2 boxes (3.4 oz. each) instant lemon pudding mix

In a bowl, combine the margarine and flour. Mixture will look crumbly. Press crumbs evenly into an ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish. (A glass dish shows off the pretty layers of this dessert.) Bake at 350ยบ until set, about 18-20 minutes. Cool completely.

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping. Spread this mixture over cooled crust.

In a large bowl, beat together the milk and pudding mix. Let stand 5 minutes or until thickened. Carefully spread pudding over first layer.

Carefully spread remaining whipped topping over the pudding. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Yield: 12-16 servings.

This is still a rich-tasting dessert, but I’ve lightened it up a lot. I cut the butter in half from the original recipe, and use light dairy products and whipped topping. This has a nice refreshing taste after a meal. I found the recipe in an older issue of Taste of Home magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.