Thursday, June 06, 2013

Gluten free cinnamon rolls ~ simply the best!

The Baking Beauties
Yes, these are the best gluten free cinnamon rolls imaginable.  You simply can't tell they are wheat free.  They are well worth the trouble it takes to make them -- which is no more work than a regular cinnamon roll made with wheat flour.

As some readers may know, I've been avoiding wheat for about a year and a half.  I tried it for about six weeks to see if it would have any effect on some stomach issues I'd had for years.  It did (almost immediately) make a huge difference in how I felt, so I continued with it.  One of the toughest things for me is the area of baked goods.  I really enjoy baking, and so, although I can have wheat-free desserts by sticking with things like fruit, I'm always on the lookout for good gluten free baking recipes. 

I found this one -- Best Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls -- at The Baking Beauties just before Easter.  It was perfect timing, as I had signed up to bring baked goods to our Easter breakfast following the sunrise service at church.

These turned out perfectly.  They didn't look as perfect as some sticky buns I've seen -- the underside of the rolls were a little lighter in color than they could have been, but that seems fairly typical of gluten free baked goods.  As a result, since these didn't look as appetizing as the regular sticky buns, they were pretty much ignored at the breakfast.  That was fine with me as they were absolutely delicious.  I took the leftovers home and froze them (in a plastic container separated by layers of waxed paper) and I am still enjoying them, one sticky bun at a time.

I should add, too, that these can easily be made without the syrupy stuff in the bottom of the pan, for just regular cinnamon rolls.  I had made 1 1/2 times the recipe (just the dough part; making only the 1 batch of the syrupy stuff) and so I had leftover dough.  I made that into just regular cinnamon rolls, and they were wonderful.  I think another time, I would just do that and skip the sticky bun aspect to the recipe.

If you or someone in your circle of family and friends prefers to not eat wheat, give this recipe a try.  If they've been missing cinnamon rolls, these will be a real treat for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.