Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Hodgepodging the blues

 

 It's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.   Since blue is a theme this week, I'm including some blue Christmas cards from my collection.   Here goes!

1. What's one fun thing on your December calendar? 

Coming up this week: having four of our local grands over for breakfast, candy making and some crafting.  Then we will go out for make-your-own ice cream sundaes! 


2. Sherwin William's Color of the Year for 2024 is Upward, described as 'a hint of silver lining', 'a breezy blissful blue' (see sample here). Benjamin Moore's Color of the Year for 2024 is Blue Nova, where 'violet and blue come together in a sumptuous hue'. (see sample here) Valspar's Color of the Year for 2024 is Renew Blue, a balanced blue with a touch of grayed sea -green' (see sample here)

Seems like the design world is keen on the color blue for the new year. Do you have a lot of blue in your home decor currently? What shade? Of the three colors listed which one's your favorite? Do you need to paint? How likely is it you'd select one of these shades for your home? Which one? 

* We don't have a lot of blue in our home currently, though our upstairs bath fixtures are blue from the 1970s.  I think it may have been called New Orleans blue at the time.  And yes, I admit to having  been the one who chose that color.  

* Of the three shades, Upward is definitely my favorite.  It seems more versatile.

* We do need to paint at our little cabin, but that would be white on the exterior and gray for the cabinets and off-white for the walls that are painted.  The largest area is pine paneled so no paint needed there.

* I probably wouldn't choose any of these for our current home.  If we do anything with existing walls (most of which have wallpaper) we plan on covering them with pine. Two bathrooms and one bedroom are painted.  It's possible Upward might work for one of those, but we're likely to stick with white.


3. Do you struggle with 'the seasonal blues'? What are some things you do to try to beat the blues? 

I don't really struggle  with seasonal blues, but I do feel that sunlight is very important.  Things I do to beat the blues: read Psalms; work on a cross-stitch (winter sun is perfect for this); go for a walk if possible; listen to good music; bake something; create something [see random thought #6 below].

4. Blue jeans...love 'em r no? How many pair do you own? Are you married to a particular brand? 

I do love them and think I might have three pairs at this point.  I also have jeans in gray, black, brown, and a couple of green prints that I really love.  I like the way Gloria Vanderbilt jeans fit me, but any brand that fits is fine.  I buy most of my jeans at thrift stores and seldom pay more than $5 for them.

5. In terms of holiday preparation (baking, shopping, wrapping, mailing, meal planning, etc) how far along are you? 1=haven't given it a second thought, 10=nothing left to do but wait. 

Guess I'll give myself a 5.  Or maybe a 4.   Lots of baking is done, wrapping and cards are started, some shopping and making of gifts is done -- but there is a LOT still to do.




6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I was so happy last week to be able to sit down at my sewing machine and crafting desk and make four simple coasters to include in a tea party gift basket.  You can see them on yesterday's post if you are interested.

 

And there's the Hodgepodge for this week!

 

4 comments:

  1. I used to love crosstich, but wonder if my eyesight is up to it these days. Enjoy times with your grands! I got my cards mailed today which is one big job done. I still love sending and receiving cards. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really do a lot of baking but I realized I have some extra time, with the holiday being a Monday. Maybe I'll get some done this year over that weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mrs. T, I had a nice visit here today. I need to get busy with my cards. I need to go to some thrift stores and look for jeans. I am going to read your previous post next. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree, sunshine really helps and today we haven't had one minute of it. What a fun event coming up with some of your grands! Love that idea. I got a couple of cloth Christmas coasters from a friend an I'm enjoying them. Enjoy your preparations for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.