Sunday, December 17, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


As mentioned last Sunday, I'm doing special Christmas related Sunday Scripture posts throughout December again this year.  Back in 2020 I had worked through Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  Last year, I used some of my simple study from this book as Scripture posts for December.  I have decided to do so again this year, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but of course you can use these any way you want to. I hope perhaps some of you will want to study out these verses in more depth for yourselves.

Here goes with the study for Week 2, Day 10! 

Verses for the day:

"The LORD thy God, in the midst of thee,is mighty; He will save; He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love; He will joy over thee with singing."  (Zephaniah 3:17)

My study: 

This verse is part of a section detailing Israel's restoration and blessing during the millennial reign of Christ.  God is in the midst of His people (true for believers also!) and He is mighty to save.

C.I. Scofield points out that the phrase "rest in His love" literally means "silent" -- a love too great for words.

God says in Jeremiah 32:41, 

"I will rejoice over them in doing them good."

He says in Isaiah 65:19, 

"I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people."

 Scofield notes:

"For the Lord's own, His final word is not of anger, as with the unbelieving nations, but of love, as expressed in this beautiful verse.  When it comes to His people, chastised and forgiven, God rests His case in love and rejoicing."

Reflection question:

Do you struggle with accepting and believing God's love for you?  How does remembering the deep love of God for you, quiet your soul and give you peace?

My prayer:

"Dear God, I know that the love You have for me is literally a love too great for words.  You truly showed this by sending Your Son to die for my sin.  You commended Your love toward us in that 'while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us'.  Similarly, my love for You is also too great for words (although my love pales in comparison to Yours).  My love is best shown in actions of obedience and service, even in the smallest things.  I praise You and thank You for Your constant, steadfast love to me.  Help me to rest in that as I seek to live my life as a thank-offering to You, in Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the Sunday Scripture for the day.  Hope it was a blessing to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.