Monday, December 18, 2023

Happy Homemaker Monday

 

As usual, there's no time for a long post, but I'm taking a few minutes to join Sandra for this link party over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.   It's great because it provides an easy way to post for December Daily.

The Weather:::

An astounding 56º with 12 mph wind.  Pouring rain.  There's a flash flood warning in place and river flood warnings for two different rivers in three different towns.  Snowmelt of course will contribute to the problem.  I'm reminded of last December's flash flooding.  Photo below from December 2022.


As I look outside my window:::

Rain, rain, rain.  There are remnants of snow in our woods, but for the most part the ground is covered with brown leaves.

Right now I am:::

 Working on a blog post.  And, once again, feeling guilty about taking the time!  So much to do!
 
Thinking and pondering:::
 
About this poem by Helen Steiner Rice, from a Christmas card in my collection:
 
LET US LIVE CHRISTMAS EVERY DAY

Christmas is more than a day at the end of the year, more than a season of joy and good cheer,
Christmas is really God's pattern for living, to be followed all year by unselfish giving ...
For the holiday season awakens good cheer and draws us closer to those we hold dear,
And we open our hearts and find it is Good to live among men As We Always Should ...
But as soon as the tinsel is stripped from the tree, the spirit of Christmas fades silently
Into the background of daily routine and is lost in the whirl of life's busy scene,
And all unawares we miss and forego the greatest blessing that mankind can know ...
For if we lived Christmas each day, as we should, and made it our aim to always do good, 
We'd find the lost key to meaningful living that comes not from Getting, 
but from unselfish Giving.

Helen Steiner Rice
 

On my bedside table::: 

 A lamp, four books,  and a pen.

 Listening to::: 

The falling rain.
 
 On the Breakfast plate:::

I do intermittent fasting so don't have breakfast.  Lunch will be a salad with cubes of turkey and cheese in  addition to leaf lettuce.

On the dinner plate::: 

Roasted kielbasa and vegetables -- red peppers, squash, onions, Brussels sprouts

On the menu for this week::: 

 A few meals on my menu plan:

Ham and bean soup
Chicken Divan
Shepherd's Pie using mashed turnips in place of potatoes
 
On my reading pile:::
 
Choosing Forgivemess by Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth
A Step Farther and Higher, by Gail MacDonald
High Call, High Privilege, also by Gail MacDonald
All Manner of Things,
by Susie Finkbeiner -- which I am reading through for the second time, and loving it

On my to do list today:::
 

Work on December blog posts
Work on Sunday School lesson 17
Email Sunday School lesson 15 to ladies
Write a few more Christmas cards
Bake some cut-out cookies
Bake apricot bread for kitchen gifts
Start mug rug
Follow-up email to hospitality team/church family about outreach opportunity
Prepare a small package for mailing
Apricot cakes fresh from the oven
How I will wrap the little cakes
The cookies I am planning on making.  Dough is all made; I just have to roll, cut and bake.  Good project for a rainy day!

Plans for this week:::

Plan menus and make grocery list
List some Christmas cards on Etsy
Ironing
Take a bag to the thrift store
Work on my Sunday School lesson
Blogging
Celebrate Christmas early with two college age granddaughters
Deliver Christmas goodies to family and
Meet up with friends for thrifting and supper out
 
What I am creating:::
 
January cross-stitch sampler, plus another cross-stitch I am dreaming of starting
Some "condensation catchers" out of old towels to place behind toilets that sweat in the humidity -- no, I still haven't finished started those! 😕  And I need to do so, because the old towels are just sitting around waiting to be used!
Need to start a mug rug for a granddaughter's gift
Some dishcloths in Christmasy colors
Need to make some superhero gifts for friends
Crocheted hot mat for the gift stash
Some kitchen gifts
 
Bible verse, Devotional, Quote:::
 
This quote from Be Mature, Warren Wiersbe's Bible study on the book of James:
 
"The only way the Lord can develop patience and character in our lives is through trials.  Endurance cannot be attained by reading a book, listening to a sermon, or even praying a prayer.  We must go through the difficulties of life, trust God, and obey Him.   The result will be patience and character.  Knowing this, we can face trials joyfully.  We know what trials will do in us and for us, and we know that the end result will bring glory to God." 
 
My friend Jennifer and I are working on memorizing the book of James together, and are nearly finished (by God's grace and with His enablement!) with chapter 1, where James is explaining why we can count trials as joy.  This quote encouraged me today.

On my prayer list:::
 
Friends & family
Church family
Missionaries
Our country
 
And there's the Happy Homemaker Monday  for this week! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the poem. I read it and was convicted. You have a busy week ahead - some truly fun things sprinkled in amongst what might be called duties or disciplines. Your wrapped loaves makes me think I surely can pull some together to share too. Thanks for the inspiration to consider it, at least.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.