Sunday, December 10, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Again this year, I'm doing special Christmas related Sunday Scripture posts throughout December.  Back in 2020 I worked through Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  Last year, I used some of my simple study from this book as Scripture posts for December.  I have decided to do so again this year, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but of course you can use these any way you want to .   Here goes with the study for Week 1, Day 5!

Verse for the day:

""I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go; I will guide thee with Mine eye."  (Psalm 32:8)

My study: 

I have jotted a note in my Bible from some long-ago message or reading that another translation of this verse reads:

"I will counsel thee; My eye shall be upon thee."

Glancing across the center margin of my Bible, I saw this verse:

"Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon those who fear Him, upon those who hope in His mercy."  (Psalm 33:18)

God's eye is upon those who have a reverential trust in Him and a hope based on His mercy.

Charles Spurgeon writes, 

"The Lord is the great overseer, whose eye in providence overlooks everything.  It is well for us to be the sheep of His pasture, following the guidance of His wisdom."

 Spurgeon's Treasury of David, his three-volume commentary on the Psalms, quotes Archibald Symson:

"This threefold repetition, 'I will instruct thee', 'I will teach thee', 'I will guide thee' teaches us three properties of a good teacher.  First, to make the people understand the way of salvation; secondly, to go before them; thirdly, to watch over them and their ways."

Reflection question:

Write your favorite Scripture passage below.  God is speaking to you through that passage right now.  Write out what He is saying to you and how it applies in this season of life.

 I chose to answer this in my prayer, and I used Psalm 32:8 as the Scripture passage to apply.

My prayer:

"Dear God, It is so comforting to know that You will counsel me: You will instruct me and teach me in the way I should go, and that Your eye is upon me.  You know every facet of my life and current circumstances, along with every twist and turn my path will take, and I can trust You to guide and direct me accordingly.  I thank You for the sound principles and clear instruction in Your Word, and for the moment-by-moment guidance of Your Holy Spirit.  I pray that You will help me to be sensitive to Your leading throughout each and every day.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the Sunday Scripture for the day.  Hope it was a blessing to you!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. This was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Yes, it was a blessing to me, and I appreciate these words of wisdom and counsel. It is comforting to know that God always has His eye upon us, to guide and direct our paths in the way we should go. I pray that for my children and grandchildren as well...that they will know how much the Father loves them...Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.