Sunday, December 03, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Again this year, I'll be doing special Christmas related Sunday Scripture posts throughout December.  Back in 2020 I worked through Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  Last year, I used some of my simple study from this book as Scripture posts for December.  I have decided to do so again this year, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but of course you can use these any way you want to .   Here goes with the study for Week 1, Day 3!

Verse for the day:

""Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be? ... And the angel answered, and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee; therefore that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."  (Luke 1:34-35)

My study: 

When the angel Gabriel gave Mary the news that she would be the mother of God's Son, she obviously had questions as to how this conception would take place.  The angel kindly explained,

* The Holy Spirit will come upon you
* The power of the Most High will overshadow you.

Therefore, the child who will be born as a result will be the holy Son of God.

Warren Wiersbe says, 

"Gabriel was careful to point out that the Baby would be a 'holy thing' and would not share the sinful human nature of man.  Jesus knew no sin (2 Cor. 5:21).  He did no sin (1 Peter 2:22), and He had no sin (1 John 3:5).  His body was prepared for Him by the Spirit of God (Heb. 10:5) who 'overshadowed' Mary.  That word is applied to the presence of God in the holy of holies in the Jewish tabernacle and temple (Ex. 40:35)

Reflection question:

Take a moment to pause and reflect on what Jesus has done for you.  List below three or more things He has done and then give Him praise.

My prayer:

"Dear God, I am so thankful for all that Jesus has done for me.  He drew me to Himself with lovingkindness and helped me to understand the magnitude of His love for me, that He had given His life for me, had died for me while I was still in my sin.  Since I trusted Him as Savior, He has transformed my life completely and given me a purpose for living.  He continues to care for me each and every day, and I am so very thankful for all that He has done and is doing!  I praise You in Jesus' matchless name, Amen."

That's the Sunday Scripture for the day.  Hope it was a blessing to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.