Saturday, March 17, 2007

Chiles Rellenos Casserole


Annie had asked for this recipe, and I finally found a moment to type it up. Enjoy!

CHILES RELLENOS CASSEROLE

2 to 3 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
4 flour tortillas (6-inch size), cut in 1-inch strips*
1 cup (or less) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup (or less) shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
3/8 cup milk
Garlic powder to taste
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
Paprika
Salsa

Grease or spray a 9-inch square baking dish. Cut along one side of each chili and open it up so it will lie flat. Place half of the chilies in the baking dish. Layer with half of the tortilla strips and then half of the mozzarella and half the cheddar. Repeat the layers. In a bowl, beat the eggs, garlic powder, cumin and pepper. Pour over the layered items in the baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake uncovered at 350ยบ for 40 to 45 minutes, our until puffy and a knife inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve with salsa.

* I had larger tortillas on hand so I used 3 10-inch ones. I cut them in half before cutting into 1-inch strips. I’m sure everyone knows that the easiest way to cut tortillas is with scissors.

This is adapted from Light & Tasty magazine and is most delicious! The two of us polished this off at one sitting. I had 2 1/2 squares of it (I had cut it in 9 squares to serve) and, well... you know who ate the rest. You may double the recipe and bake it in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish instead.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. T,
    Thanks so much for posting this recipe. It looks great and I can't wait to make it.
    I usually cook without measurements or anything, I'm a throw a little of this and some of that in kinda girl... but it is nice to know how to make those packets in case I need them for a recipe or something.
    blessings~
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.