Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My Favorite Broccoli Soup


I'd planned to make split pea soup for supper with those cheddar drop biscuits. Then I remembered I'd bought broccoli crowns last week, so quickly changed my plans. Split peas will keep for quite awhile, but broccoli will not. So here's what I made instead:

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

3 cups chicken broth
1 large bunch broccoli, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 bay leaves
6 Tablespoons butter
7 Tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
Salt & pepper to taste

In large saucepan or dutch oven, bring broth to a boil. Add broccoli, onion, and bay leaves. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until broccoli is tender.

Meanwhile, in another pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture is hot and thickened. Add 1 cup of the broccoli mixture to the milk mixture, stirring until well blended. Gradually add all of the milk mixture to the broccoli mixture in the dutch oven. Stir to combine well. Heat and stir until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

This is our family’s favorite broccoli soup. I like it because it’s a little different from most broccoli soup recipes in not calling for cheese. That makes it a little bit healthier, too. The bay leaves in this recipe make all the difference to the flavor!

I have recently found that I can make this soup nearly fat-free by omitting the butter. I just put the milk in a quart jar, add the flour and shake until smooth. Then slowly stir this mixture into the boiling broth/vegetables and continue to cook, stirring often, until the soup is thickened.


This soup was yummy with the cheddar drop biscuits alongside. I don't think I've ever served them with this soup before. It made a great combination!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Sounds great! It does seem that all the broccoli recipes have cheese, so I will try this one really soon!
    And the cheese biscuits sound yummy!
    Blessings, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy it, Patty! I was especially pleased to be able to make the soup pretty much fat-free by just shaking the milk and flour together. It was an experiment that worked out very well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.