Thursday, October 20, 2022

Fall meet-up with friends #4 -- breakfast and lunch at our little camp

 


When we are able to get together with our good friends Syd and Cyndy from Vermont, we like to spend most of a day together, usually beginning with breakfast.  Often it's at our home, but in summer and fall we love to entertain at our little cottage.  And such was the case on Columbus Day.  

I decided to keep breakfast very simple with a vegetable egg bake and with a Hash Brown Casserole, which I kept warm in a crockpot rather than baking it in the oven.   (The oven at the camp is tiny and only has one rack, so I could only bake one 13x9 dish.)  We also had red grapes, and Cyndy contributed apple corn muffins to the breakfast menu.

Lunch was a hot dog roast, for which we were joined by our daughter and three of the grandkids, who walked through the woods from their house next door.  In addition to the hot dogs, I also made the Old Settlers Baked Beans mentioned in a previous post, along with macaroni &cheese.  Cyndy brought a delicious potato salad, and they also brought a jug of cider and a bottle of vanilla chai to share.

I made some hot spiced cider also, which was a big hit with the kids.  It seemed like just the thing for  sipping around an autumn campfire.  I made a spice bag with one cinnamon stick, broken up, and one teaspoon whole cloves for one gallon of cider.


For dessert, my hubby made the gingerbread whoopie pies mentioned in a previous post, and I made a Fall Apple Dip.  In a perfect scenario, I would've made an apple crisp, but I was crunched for time.  The Honeycrisp apple slices and dip were great alongside the whoopie pies.


 

This was such a fun get-together!  We all had a wonderful time!



4 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds like the perfect meal. So many wonderful fall dishes and beverages. I'm sure you all had a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! All the food was yummy, but the fellowship was even nicer!

      Delete
  2. Perfect menu, perfect location, and perfect people! It sounds like a plan for a future autumn gathering in my corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope you get to have that autumn gathering soon, Vee! Wish I could be there! 😀

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.