Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Last hodgepodge for October

 


 Yep, it's time again for the Wednesday Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  Again this week, the  questions are all over the place, but they were fun to answer.  Here goes!

1. In two or three sentences describe yourself to someone who has never met you. 

I thought I would use my profile info, but it doesn't quite say it all.   So let's try this:  I'm a Christian wife, mother, and grandmother, blessed to live in scenic northern New England with my wonderful husband.  We're loving retirement and the opportunities it brings for volunteering and travel, but also take joy in being home.  Some of my passions include spiritual growth and mentoring, along with creativity in many forms: writing, cooking and baking, needlework, and more.

2. Will you celebrate Halloween this year, and if so tell us how? Let's play this or that-chocolate candy or fruity candy? pumpkin seeds or pumpkin pie? Halloween party or scary movie? hay ride or corn maze? carve a pumpkin or paint a pumpkin?

We're not into Halloween at all, so we won't be celebrating it.  In fact, my hubby and I were just saying the other day that some of the scariest Halloween decor out there may be political signs.

For this or that -- chocolate candy; pumpkin pie; fall party; hay ride; carve a pumpkin.  We got in on a fall party and a pumpkin-carving contest a couple of weeks ago, in fact.  We didn't carve, but enjoyed watching the process and the creativity of others.

Fall photo taken from a hayride at The Wilds of New England

3. What's something that scared you when you were young? Are you still afraid? 

 Tough question.  Nearly everything about school scared me in first grade.  I eventually did get over it, but my reputation for crying easily followed me for years.

This college clock tower adjoined my elementary school campus.

4. Your favorite soothing drink? 

Probably hot apple cider. 

5. Are you thinking about Christmas yet? Does this make you feel happy or stressed? 

I am thinking about Christmas a bit, and pretty much it makes me feel happy.  I'm trying to be in the moment and enjoy the fall season, but I am also thinking ahead to Christmas and even making a few little things for gifts.  Thinking ahead, too. to daily posts in my Christmas blog.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

I've been trying to do my own spin on Write31Days -- posting in this blog every day of October -- and what I've been finding is that just the act of doing this is giving rise to much more creativity in my life this month.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

 And that's this week's Hodgepodge?  Why not snag the questions and link up yourself?

6 comments:

  1. LOL @ political signs being scary. I hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dropping in from Hodgepodge -- I enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe there is growth and creativity that comes out of discipline. It's nice you are enjoying your writing...Hope the end of October goes well for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading here, and kudos to you for posting every day. I was thinking I was "seeing" a lot more of you these days! LOL. Hayrides are fun...haven't had one in years. I also haven't carved a pumpkin in years, but I did finally buy one to put in the front yard. We do pass out candy to the children in our neighborhood. This particular neighborhood gets a LOT of children in such cute costumes. They come in carloads and park down at the front of our neighborhood and walk the streets. I learned the first year here to get a LOT of candy ready! But they are sweet and I like to see them smile and they are so polite and say thank you. We've never had any trouble with it here. Oh, Hot apple cider is so good. I miss having fresh cider here. The store bought kind just isn't as good as the fresh stuff from the apple orchards. I loved going to the orchards and getting fresh apples, cider, and donuts. Floridians don't know what they are missing. I am sorry your first grade experience was so frightening. I honestly don't remember much except that I loved school. I was the baby of the family and didn't like being left home alone while my big siblings were gone all day, so I was happy to go to school too. But something that DID scare me was the movie "The Birds", and then birds watching me from the electric lines when I was walking outside alone scared me and I ran back home crying. Still not a fan of that movie. LOL. Have a blessed and wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes on the political signs! Politics in general are scary these days. I also find the more I write the more creative I feel in general. We have been so full on busy here in recent weeks which means lots to write about but not a lot of time to do it. Happy fall! It has been a beauty here in the south too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Yes on the political signs! I love a good hot apple cider. Oh, I need to check out your Christmas blog. I LOVE Christmas.Oh, I also love the idea of doing a spin on Write 31 Days. After that ended I have been thinking of doing it myself too. Obviously October is over pretty much so I might choose another month of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.