Monday, October 12, 2015

Pumpkin Dutch Apple Pie


Photo from Pinterest
Like almost everyone else this time of year, I revel in the pumpkin and apple flavors of autumn.  This wonderful recipe, which I have used for many years, is from the Gooseberry Patch book Homespun Christmas.  I highly recommend this book, by the way.  It's the second Gooseberry Patch book I ever bought, and it is absolutely filled with wonderful recipes, crafts, and more.  You can read my review of it  here: my review of Homespun Christmas.  But on to the pie recipe!  If you have never tasted a pie with apples and pumpkin together, you are in for an autumn treat!

PUMPKIN-DUTCH APPLE PIE

Apple Layer:
2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. flour
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie shell ( I use a 10-inch pie shell)
Toss apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Place mixture in pie shell.
Pumpkin Layer:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 15-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tblsp. melted butter
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients and beat well. Pour over apples in pie shell. Bake in preheated 375º oven for 30 minutes. While pie is baking, mix together ingredients for
Crumble Topping:
1/2 cup flour
5 Tblsp. sugar
3 Tblsp. softened butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Remove pie from oven and sprinkle with topping. Return pie to 375º oven and bake for 20 more minutes or until custard is set. Cool.

Now, I know some people have trouble with pie crust, so I'm adding my foolproof recipe just in case.  The 1-crust batch is what you will need for the pumpkin-dutch apple pie recipe.

MRS. T’S OIL PIE CRUST
(for a 1-crust pie)

1 1/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1/3 c. canola oil
3-5 T. milk

Stir together flour and salt in a small to medium bowl. Measure oil into glass measuring cup, add milk to oil. Pour milk and oil into the flour/salt mixture. Combine with a fork till it forms a nice ball of dough. Take a wet dishcloth and wash off a section of your counter. Lay a large piece of wax paper on the wet area (so it’ll stick). Put the dough on the wax paper and lay another piece of wax paper on top. Roll out the dough to desired size and shape between the 2 pieces of wax paper. This works really well and saves you having to flour the counter!

For a double crust pie, use

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk

Mix and roll out as above.

I have double or tripled this recipe with no problems. However, I do find that when doubling or tripling, I end up with an extra crust or two, so keep that in mind when figuring how much pastry you’ll need.

Many people think they wouldn’t like a pie crust made with oil. I always use an oil crust for my pies, and they always turn out well. I think an oil pastry is much less finicky than one made with shortening or butter; the dough is much easier to work with. And of course, a crust made with canola oil is healthier, too!

I should also add that many pastry-challenged people use the refrigerated, already-rolled-out sheets of pie crust, and they like them a lot. I'm too frugal to buy them, but I like them too.

Enjoy this wonderful pie -- and do let me know if you try it!

Today I am linking up to Sandi's No Place Like Home party at Rose Chintz Cottage.

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting combination of apple and pumpkin. Wonder if that would kill two birds with one stone. We are only seven at Thanksgiving and still we have seven or eight pies! Cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a very nice combination, Vee. We enjoy it a lot and I think it probably would kill two birds with one stone at Thanksgiving unless you are feeding some die-hard pie traditionalists.

    Thinking of your seven or eight Thanksgiving pies: Every year my hubby says, "If it's only us and your dad we will go out to dinner. And you only need to make ONE pie!" It hasn't happened yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apple pie and I'm not terribly fond of pumpkin pie, but I bet the combination is delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs, T, I have never heard of such a pie but the way you describe it, I'm thinking, why not! It would be a nice combination. I just might try putting some apples in the bottom next time I make a pumpkin pie. I'm pretty sure my hubby would like it because his favourite is apple pie whereas my favourite is pumpkin. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I have never made a pie crust with oil either and I must give that a go too. I saw a similar recipe for pie crust somewhere not too long ago. Perhaps it will become a favourite recipe. I'm always open to trying new ones. Thanks for sharing.

    Autumn blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome, Sandi! It is very good, a real favorite of ours. I hope you enjoy this if you try it. My daughter makes pie crust with real butter and of course it is wonderful, but I just find the oil crust so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snap, I am so sorry to be just now publishing and responding to your comment. For whatever reason, there were a half dozen or more comments that did not go to my email as they should have. I found them on my dashboard today under "comments awaiting moderation". Not sure what Blogger is up to!

    Anyway ... I hope you enjoyed this pie if you ended up trying it. I didn't used to be a fan of pumpkin pie either; then I started making the kind with the sweetened condensed milk. It's delicious and so much easier! But this pie (pumpkin-apple) is a really nice combination.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.