Monday, January 08, 2007

Sweet Potato Chowder

Several people have inquired about the recipe for Sweet Potato Chowder which I posted in my menu plan for this week. Here it is, for all those who are interested:

SWEET POTATO CHOWDER

2 celery ribs, chopped
1 Tblsp. olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 Tblsp. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Garlic powder to taste
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Real crumbled bacon if desired

In large saucepan, saute´ celery in olive oil until tender. Stir in broth, water and bouillon. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth -- one of those Tupperware® shake-up things is perfect, but a covered jar will work -- and gradually stir into the simmering soup. Bring soup to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Top servings with real bacon bits if desired.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

I adapted this from a recipe in the November/December 2000 Quick Cooking. The recipe originally called for 2 cups of cubed turkey ham (add along with potatoes if you use it). It seemed to me one could get the same basic flavor, a lot more cheaply, by topping the servings of soup with bacon bits. Worked great! We also sprinkled on some oyster crackers and enjoyed the soup with cornbread on the side for complete protein. A delicious and very warming soup!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:43 PM

    I am having troubling posting...so if you end up with three diffeent post...sorry. This recipe sounds delicious. I will definately give it a try soon. I love the way the house smells when soup is cooking on the stove.
    Thanks!
    Blessings, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty --

    I only got one of your posts, so it's OK!

    I heated up the leftovers of this soup tonight. Just as good as last night -- maybe better. We love soup and eat a lot of it in the fall and winter.

    I just posted another soup recipe you might enjoy.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.